Friday, May 16, 2008

#15: Hit a Girl #2

In grade 4, I hit a girl, (whom I’ll refer to as Tomboy), for a rather complicated reason, which I’ll explain.

Our grade 4 French immersion teacher decided it would be a bright idea to turn us all against one another by implementing the following system:

  1. Everybody starts each week with three tickets (ou les “billets” en français)
  2. If one student hears another student speak three English words together, he or she may take a ticket from them.
  3. At the end of the week, five tickets can be traded in for a prize/toy.

Anyway, the teacher was trying to gather us all for a small assembly on a small stage in our class. I was dawdling at my desk. I’m not sure what I was doing exactly, but Tomboy came up to me and said “Hurry up, Mal!” So then I felt she owed me a “billet” but she argued she didn’t have to, because even though she used the English form of my name, names don’t count. So in frustration, I hit her, and she went down in front of the whole class. And then I went down, to the principal’s office. Again. And despite the fact that hitting her was wrong, I was also wrong about her owing me a billet.

No comments: