Saturday, May 31, 2008

#20 Refused to Shower at Camp

Ugh. Okay, when I was a kid, I went to a special Jewish camp. I really didn’t want to go, but my mother made me insisting it was “not a punishment, but a privilege.” I still tease her about how stupid an argument that is, but then again, mothers are prone to believe stupid things, like, whatever they like, you’ll like, or you should like, because she likes it.

Anyway, for the first three weeks there, I refused to shower, for the simple reason that I didn’t have a shower at home, I was used to baths. And man, I really must’ve stank, because at one point when our counselor was punishing us and making us stay in the bunk, he made me sit way over on the other side, because he just couldn’t stand the smell.

That’s right, readers. You remember that smelly kid who never washed, and everyone hated? Well at this camp that was me. And I’m sorry.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Okay... Considering the history of the Jewish peoples, why would your mom force you to go to a special camp?
But anyways, I think sacrificing one's hygiene for non-violent boycott purposes is relevant and an effective means of not showering.

spookygreentea said...

To be fair, when I got sent there years later, the only showers they had were communal. Sure it was separated by sex, but still - what eleven year old wants to shower in front of sixteen other eleven to eighteen year olds? Yeah. Didn't think so.

Malice Blackheart said...

That's right. I had to get naked in front of other boys - I really wasn't used to that either.

Al, that's pretty funny. I hadn't even thought of that. I was sent to a special camp, and I was too afraid to use the showers. It's an irony that would've been lost on me then.