Thursday, July 31, 2008

Next Month is Career Month

So, I have a pet project for next month. As many of you are no doubt sick of hearing me say (as I’m frankly way sick of saying myself), I have no idea what to do about my career. Do I move to another city, go back to school, or find some other winning job in the hidden job market. I do know that I don’t fancy working in a pet food store, (one just opened up right by my house), but maybe I’m just being too picky. I just feel a little too old at 28 to be working a minimum wage dead-end job again. Then again, I’ve met lots of people who are still stuck doing that at 38.

Anyway, I’m thinking that even if I do settle for minimum wage crap, they are nicer, cheaper places to live than here. And according to a reputable dating site, this is the least sexy city in North America, dating-wise. And from what I’ve witness, I’d say that sound about right. This city sucks the life right out of people. So things could only get better, or so one would imagine.

I do in fact have one job interview coming up. It’s more of an audition actually – for dinner theater. I don’t imagine it pays terribly well, but it actually sounds like fun. And I have a fair degree of theatrical experience, so I think my chances are good – again, particularly in this city.

So, for the next 31 days, I’m going to look at 31 potential careers. That way, even if I still don’t know what the hell to do with myself at the end of the month, at least I can say I tried, and hopefully, I’ll have learned a fair bit. You guys may learn a thing or two also.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I agree wholeheartedly with what you said about that town. It does suck the life out of one. For a capital city it really is just a small village. When I was there it was total stagnation, which turned me into an asshole. The people were great but there was just some kind of fog or muffler that kept enshrouding everything until you felt like screaming. It's a good place if you want to retire or raise weird kids.

Inkpot said...

Good luck with the audition Mal