Friday, December 5, 2008

I am Poet

I am poet, one two three,
Rhyming fun and fancy free,
Though I’m never one to gloat,
Here’s a poem that I wrote.

English is so easy for the kids to learn in school,
But difficult to master, with exceptions to each rule.
Look at all the words for “group.” Excessive, isn’t it?
Why bother with so many, when a single word would fit?

Crows come in a “murder,” which I’ve always found morose.
Owls come in a “parliament,” which isn’t even close.
There’s lions in a “pride,” which I find is more astute,
And penguins come in “waddles,” which is just so very cute.

You have a “watch” of nightingales, and a “herd” of cattle.
You have a “slither” of snakes, even those that have a rattle.
You can have a “school of fish” and a “school of whales” too,
Despite the fact that whales are mammals, according to the zoo.

You can have a “harem of cougars,” well okay, no you can’t.
That’s one that I made up to help the structure of my rant.
But now that I’ve considered it, this is a concern.
Now English seems to be the toughest language one could learn.

Still, I find it fun to rhyme with any word I can.
Something I’ll keep up, no doubt, when teaching in Japan.
Of all the words that I know, which one rhymes with English?
I don’t know, but this ends now, so finkle-fala-finglish.

3 comments:

Inkpot said...

Mmm... what rhymes with English? Bringlish? Tinglish? Singlish? I don't know it, I'm not a poet (hee hee, see what I did there?).

spookygreentea said...

Singlet is kinda close...

...but not really.

しりませんよ!

Malice Blackheart said...

It's a conundrum I tells, ya.