Monday, February 2, 2009

Groundhog Day

I don’t know how to spend today.
Is there no way to end today?
I may not be a god per se,
But time itself will bend today.
“I got You Babe” begins to play.
My radio I’ll rend today.
What once was fun has gone to gray.
It all begins to blend today.
There’s nothing left for me to say.
I’ll watch the snow descend today.
I now see pain I might allay.
I’ve started a new trend today.
The choking man, the child at play,
I’ve all my life to lend today.
Though in my arms, he passed away.
I did my best to mend today.
I want my feelings on display.
So I will not pretend today.
It’s cold tonight. Will you please stay?
My black heart needs a friend today.

2 comments:

Inkpot said...

I love it! It references the source material very well. If I read it over and over it is like having my own Groundhog Day. :) I love that movie.

Inkpot said...

Hi Mal. The poetry challenge sounds (scary) FANTASTIC!! You are on! I'll announce it as my first challenge next Friday. Email me so we can sort out the details. My addy is im@iseultmurphy.com. Cheers.