Wednesday, May 7, 2008

#7: Stole a Girl’s Grade 7 Shop Project

When I was in grade 7, I took a mandatory shop class. One of our projects was to make a keychain by melding together strips of plastic and then sanding them down into whatever shape we wanted. I decided to make a multicolored teardrop, though that’s perhaps beside the point.

The shop teacher brought out a bunch of projects the previous students had done, and one of them in particular caught my eye – it was a joystick keychain, with individual finger grips. I couldn’t believe the person who made it didn’t want to keep it, so when no one was looking, I pocketed it, hoping no one would notice.

Anyway, it turned out that the students had brought these back in upon the shop teacher’s request, and they wanted them back, particularly one girl who made a joystick keychain with finger grips. We’ll call her Chuck.

So, the shop teacher already knew a few facts – that it went missing during my class, and that I in particular had been eyeing it. Of course, I denied it. I figured it was too dangerous to hold onto it anymore, so I chucked it in the lost and found, hoping everything would work out.

At the end of the day, the shop teacher came in and brought Chuck in tow, who was in tears. I felt so rotten, but at least I’d gotten rid of the evidence in case they searched everyone. They held us all in the class for while, hoping the culprit would crack and fess up. (Of course, an intelligent teacher should know that never works. When you scare the crap out of a kid like that, and then he has to confess in front of the whole class, he/she definitely won’t.) Eventually, our homeroom teacher gave up, and we all went home, and that was the end of it.

Passing by the lost and found, I noticed that the keychain was gone. To this day, I still don’t know who really wound up with it.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

It would be interesting to see if Chuck remembers the incident. You'll probably find her at the nearest asylum scratching at the walls and screaming about keychains. You should go ask her.

EVIL!

Unknown said...

You owe it to Chuck to track her down and give her a handcrafted joystick keychain.

spookygreentea said...

If you do decide to make one to make it up to her - [*pause.* "Make one to make it up?" *shakes head*] - Fimo or similar might work nicely.